Zombies are the most prominent figure in the War Z universe. These flesh starved undead souls will go to whatever lengths to be able to feed on the bodies of the living. Zombies consist of the physical form of a human who had died from becoming infected with the Zombie Virus, which kills them within a certain period of time. The zombie's bodies are rotting and decaying forms, and can be noticed from long distances due to discoloration of the skin, awkward walking form, and seemingly mindless actions, as well as obvious blood smears from the struggle that took place while the previous human was becoming infected.
In order to kill a Zombie, you must destroy their brain through melee or ranged attacks with weapons found around the game world. Body shots will only temporarily stutter their actions and reactions, but will hardly ever result in a kill. Zombies will die from a single headshot from a gun or crossbow, but if you hit the body of the zombie, it will attack you.
Zombies cannot climb ladders or walls. Barricading yourself inside a structure is one way to avoid them. Jumping on a truck may protect you, but the zombies will continue to try to attack you, and will attack you if they are close enough. If you jump on a car, the zombies will often be able to climb it or even attack you from the side of the vehicle.
Zombies can walk and crawl (not yet) depending on the status of their legs, and can also walk up stairs. Zombies in WarZ are looked upon to be the standard slow-mindless variant.
- Can infect the player with the Zombie Virus by biting them. The only way to cure it is with Stem Cells from Stem-cell Carrier zombies or by using Vaccines.
 Stem-cell Carriers
Here is some basic information about stem-cell carriers:
- This type of zombies is extremely rare
- Only come out to hunt at night in populated areas
- Carry extremely rare stem cells
- Are kill-able by players
- Much more aggressive, fast, and agile than regular zombies
- Different appearance from regular zombies
- Likely require a group effort in order to kill
 Future Speculative Updates
- Waves of Zombies (Hords of hundreds of zombies walking in one direction) link. (VZK91, I_Guts_I)
- Transform the character into zombie 2min after he dies. This "fresh" zombie could be as fast and healthy as a human for a period of time (Fortuitous Phreak, PretentiousDuckerlink, Demut link)
- Zombies should have different characteristics according to "previouslife". (nathanrr44)
- Different Zombie characteristics depending on location and infection time (e.g. fasterzombies on less populated zones)link.(Arg-Reagz, Lriley777)
- Zombie with glowing eyes, mob sounds for a more immersion of fear. (GoblinShark)
- Zombie should carry also an ID and journal. (GoblinShark)
- Random events of Zombie invasion of safe zones link. (h4wkhunt3r)
- Zombies return to where they found previously food (i.e. Players). (Kingaison98)
- Zombies can hurt eachother while chasing a player. (Kingaison98)
- Zombies idle animations (behaviors like vomiting, fighting eachother, attacking inanimated objects, etc.) link. (maxkhson)
- Different Zombie types (L4D alike, or Crawlers,Shamblers,Walkers and runners). (Deacyde, ajrinomestre)
- After killing a Player Zombies start to eat him giving opportunity to others escape link. (johit)
- maxkhson's Zombie Spawn System proposal link.
- Zombies able to grab players weapons out of their hands/grab by their clothes. (SilentSlayer002)
- Zombies are attracted by players inffected wounds link. (blankmind)