Survivors are playable avatars among the 5% of the remaining world population who have yet to be infected with the Zombie Virus that has stricken the world. The main mission of a survivor is to fulfill the duty that is inscribed in their name: Survive.
See Survivor Creation for creation information.
Survivors can belong to one of three distinct groups in the land of WarZ, the Heroes, the Neutrals and the Bandits. Survivor characters have either not established a reputation, or have established a positive reputation with NPC characters, and player controlled characters. They tend to be forgiving when interacting, and will mainly be completing PvE quests, or hunting down bandits.
Heroes are players who gained a positive reputation by killing villains. There are 6 different titles obtainable via this branch.
Civilians are players that either have just started with a character or are somewhere in between Heroes and Villains. They make up the majority of players and are just as likely to be friendly as they are to kill you on sight.
Villains are survivors who have established a negative reputation by killing other players. There are 6 titles obtainable via this branch.
 Reputation System
Aiming at a player will tell you their name and what their rep is. Each rank has its own icon that will display underneath the players name in game.
'Reputation/Rank' is what your character will be labeled as for other players. 'Kill Points Ex:' Civilian (each kill has a different value, depending on the rank of the victim.)
Note that once you've reached the rank of Outlaw that character is restricted to the Bandit tree, giving a bit of time to mend your ways, but once you've chosen, you are stuck until you make a new character
If however you've decided to go the Lawman route, you get different Rep points
As a Lawman, killing civilians or other lawmen is punished severely, and results in the below penalties. PLEASE NOTE that these are penalties based on YOUR level. So, as a paragon, killing a civilian or lawman of ANY rank results in a penalty of 125 points per kill. Similarly, if you were a Guardian, you would take a 40 point penalty point per kill.
The 'self defense' system helps to support this feature - thus, if you are shot by ANYONE, you have a 15 minute window in which to kill them without penalty.
|Reputation/Rank||Points Total||Per Kill (as Civilian)||Per Kill (as Bandit)||Per Kill (as Lawman)|
Zombies are the most prominent figure in the War Z universe. These flesh starved undead souls will go to whatever lengths to be able to feed on the bodies of the living. Zombies consist of the physical form of a human who had died from becoming infected with the Zombie Virus, which kills them within a certain period of time. The zombie's bodies are rotting and decaying forms, and can be noticed from long distances due to discoloration of the skin, awkward walking form, and seemingly mindless actions, as well as obvious blood smears from the struggle that took place while the previous human was becoming infected.
In order to kill a Zombie, you must destroy their brain through melee or ranged attacks with weapons found around the game world. Body shots will only temporarily stutter their actions and reactions, but will hardly ever result in a kill. Zombies will die from a single headshot from a gun or crossbow, but if you hit the body of the zombie, it will attack you.
Zombies cannot climb ladders or walls. Barricading yourself inside a structure is one way to avoid them. Jumping on a truck may protect you, but the zombies will continue to try to attack you, and will attack you if they are close enough. If you jump on a car, the zombies will often be able to climb it or even attack you from the side of the vehicle.
Zombies can walk and crawl (not yet) depending on the status of their legs, and can also walk up stairs. Zombies in WarZ are looked upon to be the standard slow-mindless variant.
- Can infect the player with the Zombie Virus by biting them. The only way to cure it is with Stem Cells from Stem-cell Carrier zombies or by using Vaccines.
 Stem-cell Carriers
Here is some basic information about stem-cell carriers:
- This type of zombies is extremely rare
- Only come out to hunt at night in populated areas
- Carry extremely rare stem cells
- Are kill-able by players
- Much more aggressive, fast, and agile than regular zombies
- Different appearance from regular zombies
- Likely require a group effort in order to kill
 Future Speculative Updates
- Waves of Zombies (Hords of hundreds of zombies walking in one direction) link. (VZK91, I_Guts_I)
- Transform the character into zombie 2min after he dies. This "fresh" zombie could be as fast and healthy as a human for a period of time (Fortuitous Phreak, PretentiousDuckerlink, Demut link)
- Zombies should have different characteristics according to "previouslife". (nathanrr44)
- Different Zombie characteristics depending on location and infection time (e.g. fasterzombies on less populated zones)link.(Arg-Reagz, Lriley777)
- Zombie with glowing eyes, mob sounds for a more immersion of fear. (GoblinShark)
- Zombie should carry also an ID and journal. (GoblinShark)
- Random events of Zombie invasion of safe zones link. (h4wkhunt3r)
- Zombies return to where they found previously food (i.e. Players). (Kingaison98)
- Zombies can hurt eachother while chasing a player. (Kingaison98)
- Zombies idle animations (behaviors like vomiting, fighting eachother, attacking inanimated objects, etc.) link. (maxkhson)
- Different Zombie types (L4D alike, or Crawlers,Shamblers,Walkers and runners). (Deacyde, ajrinomestre)
- After killing a Player Zombies start to eat him giving opportunity to others escape link. (johit)
- maxkhson's Zombie Spawn System proposal link.
- Zombies able to grab players weapons out of their hands/grab by their clothes. (SilentSlayer002)
- Zombies are attracted by players inffected wounds link. (blankmind)